[OT] Re: What kind of search response time are you setting with solr full text search?

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Wed Aug 25 21:16:02 EEST 2021

On 8/25/2021 12:05 PM, Steve Dondley wrote:

> OK I had to modify the query path slightly to get it to work with my
> core to:
>
> time curl
> http://localhost:8983/solr/dondley/select?q=maynez&defType=edismax&qf=body+to+subjec:t+ccfrom
>
> But it didn't return any results:

<snip>

> I only have emails for this person in a subfolder of my main Inbox
> folder so maybe it's only searching the top level folder?

That query should search ALL emails that dovecot has indexed to Solr.
There is no restriction for mailbox or folder.

Try replacing "maynez" with something else that you know will be in the

Note that you can ask dovecot to completely reindex everybody's email
with this command run as root, and then you can try searching again a
few minutes later:

doveadm index -A -q '*'

It took me forever to work out the right options for that command.  I
think it should probably get added to the wiki page about fts_solr.

Question for experts on the dovecot side of this:  What does it take for
dovecot to index new messages delivered with dovecot's LDA by postfix?
Is it a matter of waiting a certain amount of time?  I saw in Solr that
the last update to the index was 3 hours earlier, but I had received
email only a few minutes before looking at Solr's stats.

Thanks,
Shawn