Deleting an active sieve script leaves sieve unfunctional

Tobias Leupold tl at l3u.de
Mon Jul 5 21:04:13 EEST 2021

Okay, I'll try to explain it better ;-)

What I would expect is:

When I delete a sieve script via the managesieve interface of KMail, I would
expect that this script is removed from the USER.sieve script so that it's no
longer included and not run anymore. Then, it should be deleted.

What happens is:

The script is deleted, but USER.sieve is unchanged and still tries to include
it. This leads to a compile error when the next filtering is done.

IMO this simply should not happen: After deleting a script, sieve should
simply continue to work -- without the script. But what I actually have to do
is that I disable the script, so that USER.sieve doesn't include it anymore
and then delete it.

So the question is if KMail should do this automatically (and thus it's a
KMail bug) or if Dovecot doesn't act properly (and thus it's a Dovecot bug) --
or if this is a config issue caused by me not being able to setup dovecot
properly :-D

I simply think that deleting a sieve script via a managesieve interface should
not make the filtering crash and make it necessary to fix this manually ...