[Dovecot] Maildir format migration

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu May 17 16:48:55 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 15:47 +0800, Tony Tsang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to use dovecot IMAP on my server. Currently it is
> running UW-IMAP server with Maildir format storing users' mail. I've
> found that dovecot uses different Maildir format from UW-IMAP. Is
> there any configuration option for adapting dovecot to use format used
> by UW-IMAP?

A standard UW-IMAP distribution doesn't include support for maildir. Do
you mean you're using that unofficial patch which used UID=xyz in the
maildir filenames? If so, you'll have to change the directory layout to
Maildir++, but otherwise those filenames would work, even though new
UIDs will be given to them unless you write a script that writes them to
dovecot-uidlist file.

Alternatively you could try CVS HEAD version of Dovecot which supports
filesystem layout for Maildirs (mail_location =
maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=FS), but then again CVS HEAD is an actual
stable release.