[Dovecot] deliver exit codes?

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Fri May 18 00:38:04 EEST 2007

Before switching to dovecot deliver for all local deliveries, I'm
calling deliver from maildrop (yes, don't laugh).

Snippet from my global /etc/maildroprc:

# Store maillist & junk messages directly
if ( $MATCH )
   {
   exception {
      log "Bulk message: $MATCH"
      #to "$DEFAULT"
      to "|$DELIVER"
   }
}

I replaced
to "$DEFAULT"
(meaning: delivery to $HOME/Maildir) with
to "|$DELIVER"
(meaning: pipe the mail into dovecot deliver, and deliver to INBOX = $HOME/Maildir)

This works really well, UNLESS a user exceeds his/her quota: In that
particular case, deliver fails to deliver the mail and generates a
bounce, all on it's own.

It's exit status is 0 in that case, so my MTA (postfix) thinks that the
mail has been delivered successfully.

I'd prefer deliver to return EX_TEMPFAIL, which I can pass through
maildrop back to postfix, which will then log a temporary error and
will bounce the mail all by itself after 5 days time.

But how?

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de)             plonk at charite.de
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155