Some small fixes mainly, but since people aren't reporting much bugs for
v2.0.0 anymore maybe v2.0.1 release will change that. :) Some of the
more important changes since v2.0.0 are:
* When dsync is started as root, remote dsync command is now also
executed as root instead of with dropped privileges.
- IMAP: QRESYNC parameters for SELECT weren't handled correctly.
- UTF-8 string validity checking wasn't done correctly (e.g.
mailbox names in Sieve fileinto)
- dsync: Fixed a random assert-crash with remote dsyncing
As promised last Friday, here's the v2.0.0 release finally. I'm
cautiously optimistic that v2.0.1 won't (have to) be released for a few
weeks, since there was quite a lot of testing and fixing going on in the
Remember to read http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.0 before upgrading
from v1.x. Although there is automatic config conversion, it can't
handle everything, so reserve some extra time for upgrading. If you find
an upgrade problem that isn't listed on the wiki page, please add it
there or email Dovecot mailing list about it.
Pigeonhole Sieve and ManageSieve support can now be installed without
patching Dovecot. Unfortunately there isn't a Pigeonhole release yet for
v2.0, but its Mercurial code tree should be quite stable. See
There are no changes since v2.0.rc6. The largest changes since v1.2 are:
* Dovecot uses two system users for internal purposes now by default:
dovenull and dovecot. You need to create the dovenull user or change
* Global ACLs are now looked up using namespace prefixes. For example
if you previously had INBOX. namespace prefix and a global ACL for
"INBOX.Sent", it's now looked up from "INBOX.Sent" file instead of
"Sent" as before.
* Maildir: File permissions are no longer based on dovecot-shared file,
but the mailbox directory.
+ Redesigned master process. It's now more modular and there is less
code running as root.
+ Configuration supports now per-local/remote ip/network settings.
+ dsync utility does a two-way mailbox synchronization.
+ LMTP server and proxying.
+ Added mdbox (multi-dbox) mail storage backend.
+ doveadm utility can be used to do all kinds of administration
functions. Old dovecotpw and *view utilities now exist in its
+ imap and pop3 processes can now handle multiple connections.
+ IMAP: COMPRESS=DEFLATE is supported by imap_zlib plugin
+ director service helps NFS installations to redirect users always
to same server to avoid corruption
Unfortunately v2.0.0 has to be delayed a while longer, because I found
that there were still problems in plugin hook handling when using more
than 2 plugins. Hopefully it's now finally fully fixed, but I'd like to
be sure and wait for one more week to see if people can find a problem
with some plugin combination.
- Using more than 2 plugins could have caused broken behavior
(more fixes for this)
- Listescape plugin fixes
- mbox: Fixed a couple of assert-crashes
- mdbox: Fixed potential assert-crash when saving multiple messages
in one transaction.
I'm planning to release rc5 maybe this Friday or weekend, and if there
are no serious bugs just change the version number to v2.0.0 a day or
Largest changes since rc3:
+ director: Added director_doveadm_port for accepting doveadm
+ doveadm: Added client/server architecture support for running mail
commands. Enable this by setting doveadm_worker_count to non-zero.
+ mail-log: Added support for mailbox_create event.
+ imap_capability = +XFOO BAR can be used to add capabilities instead
of replacing the whole capability string.
+ virtual storage: Added support for IDLE notifications.
- doveadm mailbox status: Fixed listing non-ASCII mailbox names.
- doveadm fetch: Fixed output when fetching message header or body
- doveadm director map/add/remove: Fixed handling IP address as
- dsync: A few more fixes