Everything now seems to be stable and working in v2.2, so I can finally
move onto developing great new interesting features for v2.3. :)
My company has also launched a web shop where you can buy various
products. One of them is cheap access to Dovecot enterprise edition
repositories, which are basically same as regular Dovecot releases,
except they are kept patched with the latest important bugfixes. We
currently have releases for RHEL/CentOS 5 and 6, Debian Squeeze and
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. By buying Dovecot-EE you'll also get a 30 day demo
license for object storages, if you want to try it out.
* When creating home directories, the permissions are copied from the
parent directory if it has setgid-bit set. For full details, see
* "doveadm auth" command was renamed to "doveadm auth test"
* IMAP: ID command now advertises server name as Dovecot by default.
It was already trivial to guess this from command replies.
* dovecot.index.cache files can be safely accessed only by v2.1.11+.
Older versions may think they're corrupted and delete them.
* LDA/LMTP: If saving a mail brings user from under quota to over
quota, allow it based on quota_grace setting (default: 10%
above quota limit).
* pop3_lock_session=yes now uses a POP3-only dovecot-pop3-session.lock
file instead of actually locking the mailbox (and causing
IMAP/LDA/LMTP to wait for the POP3 session to close).
* mail_shared_explicit_inbox setting's default switched to "no".
* ssl_client_ca_dir setting replaced imapc_ssl_ca_dir and
+ Implemented IMAP MOVE and BINARY extensions
+ Implemented IMAP CATENATE, URLAUTH and URLAUTH=BINARY extensions
(by Stephan Bosch).
+ Implemented IMAP NOTIFY extension. Requires mailbox_list_index=yes
to be enabled.
+ Redesigned and rewritten dsync. The new design makes the syncing
faster, more reliable and more featureful. The new dsync protocol
isn't backwards compatible with old dsync versions (but is designed
to be forwards compatible with future versions).
+ All mailbox formats now support per-user message flags for shared
mailboxes by using a private index. It can be enabled by adding
:INDEXPVT=<path> to mail location. This should be used instead of
:INDEX also for Maildir/mbox to improve performance.
+ Improved mailbox list indexes. They should be usable now, although
still disabled by default.
+ Added LAYOUT=index. The mailbox directories are created using their
GUIDs in the filesystem, while the actual GUID <-> name mapping
exists only in the index.
+ LMTP proxy: Implemented XCLIENT extension for passing remote IP
address through proxy.
Some more fixes to bugs I noticed today while trying out some new things
in production. Note especially the replicator-doveadm socket change, see
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Replication for how to configure it. This
change allowed local replicator to notify the remote replicator about
user being synced.
* replicator: Don't create replicator-doveadm socket by default.
This way doveadm replicator commands don't accidentally start an
unconfigured replicator server.
+ replicator: Have remote dsync notify the remote replicator that
a user was just synced. This way the replicators are kept roughly
+ Added ssl_client_ca_file to specify the CA certs as a file. This is
needed (instead of ssl_client_ca_dir) in RedHat-based systems.
+ Added "doveadm fs" commands, mainly to debug lib-fs backends.
- Mailbox list indexes weren't using proper file permissions based
on the root directory.
Hello Dovecot users,
Much time passed since I last released a new Pigeonhole, so quite a few
unreleased fixes were pending until now.
Development of new features is shifted to the upcoming Pigeonhole v0.4
for Dovecot v2.2. I intend to release v0.4.0 shortly after Dovecot v2.2.0.
* Changed error handling to be less of a nuisance for administrators.
Strictly user-caused errors are only reported in user log. Some
errors are logged as info instead.
* Sieve: Changed behavior of redirect in case of a duplicate message
delivery or a mail loop. If a duplicate is detected the implicit
keep is canceled, as though the redirect was successful. This
prevents getting local deliveries. The original SMTP recipient is
used when it is available to augment the entry in the LDA duplicate
database. This way, duplicates are only detected when (initially)
addressed to the same recipient.
+ Sieve vnd.dovecot.duplicate extension: added new features to the
duplicate test, making it possible to manually compose the key
value for duplicate checking. This extension is in the process of
+ Sieve date extension: generate warning when invalid date part is
- Sieve editheader extension: fixed crash occurring when
addheader :last was used.
- Sieve include extension: fixed missing error cleanup that caused a
- Sieve vacation extension: fixed determination of From: address for
when sieve_vacation_dont_check_recipient is active.
- Sieve tools: the -D option wasn't enabled and documented for all
- Sieve dict script storage: fixed potential segfault occurring when
dict initialization fails.
- ManageSieve: fixed bug in skipping of CRLF at end of AUTHENTICATE
- ManageSieve: fixed handling of unknown commands pre-login.
- Fixed compile on Mageia Linux.
The release is available as follows:
Refer to http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org and the Dovecot v2.x wiki for
more information. Have fun testing this new release and don't hesitate
to notify me when there are any problems.
A lot of small random fixes. Some last minute major cleanups/fixes to
lib-http and lib-ssl-iostream error handling, which makes them much
easier to debug if something goes wrong (so e.g. if https site has
invalid certificate, the caller gets error message saying that,
including the part of the cert that couldn't be validated).
I don't have anything important left in my v2.2 TODO. It passes all my
tests. So I'm hoping for v2.2.0 release any day now.
+ Added "doveadm replicator" commands
- Larger changes to lib-http and lib-ssl-iostream error handling.
The API caller can now get the exact error message as a string.
- Various bugfixes to LDAP changes in rc3
+ Added quota-status policy service for Postfix
+ Added "doveadm batch" command to run multiple commands before moving
onto the next user (useful only with -A and -u <usermask>)
+ Added forwards compatibility for v2.2 index files
- mdbox: Index rebuilding crashed in some situations
- Fixed a race condition with setting \Recent flags
- Fixed a crash when decoding a specific message (decoding is done
for SEARCH TEXT/BODY and with full text search indexing, so this
couldn't fully DoS a user)