I think we're quite near v1.0 now.
* ACL plugin + Maildir: Moved dovecot-acl file from control directory
to maildir. To prevent accidents caused by this change, Dovecot
kills itself if it finds dovecot-acl file from the control directory.
* When opening a maildir, check if tmp/'s atime is over 8h old. If it
is, delete files in it with ctime older than 36h. However if
atime - ctime > 36h, it means that there's nothing to be deleted and
the scanning isn't done. We update atime ourself if filesystem is
mounted with noatime.
* base_dir doesn't need to be group-readable, don't force it.
* mail_read_mmaped setting is deprecated and possibly broken. It's now
removed from dovecot-example.conf, but it still works for now.
* Removed also umask setting from dovecot-example.conf since currently
it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
+ Authentication cache caches now also userdb data.
+ Added mail_log plugin to log various mail operations. Currently it
logs mail copies, deletions, expunges and mailbox deletions.
- dict quota: messages=n parameter actually changed storage limit.
- A lot of fixes to handling index files. This should fix almost all
of the problems ever reported.
- LDAP: auth_bind=yes was more or less broken.
- Saved mails and dovecot-keywords file didn't set the group from
- Fixed potential assert-crash while searching messages
- Fixed some crashes with invalid X-UID headers in mboxes
- If you didn't have a namespace with empty prefix, giving STATUS
command for a non-existing namespace caused the connection to give
"NO Unknown namespace" errors for all the future commands.
If you've had problems with getting errors about index files
sometimes being corrupted, please try if this release fixes it. If
you've reported any bugs that this release hasn't fixed, please
report them again so I know they still didn't get fixed and that I
didn't forget them.
* IMAP: When trying to fetch an already expunged message, Dovecot used
to just disconnect client. Now it instead replies with dummy NIL
* Priority numbers in plugin names have changed. If you're installing
from source, you should delete the existing plugin files before
installing the new ones, otherwise you'll get errors.
* Maildir: We're using rename() to move files from tmp/ to new/ now.
See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir -> "Issues with
the specification" for reasoning why this is safe. This makes saving
mails faster, and also makes Dovecot usable with Mac OS X's HFS+
(after you also set dotlock_use_excl=yes, see below).
+ Added dotlock_use_excl setting. If enabled, dotlocks are created
directly using O_EXCL flag, instead of by creating a temporary file
which is hardlinked. O_EXCL is faster, but may not work with NFS.
+ If Dovecot crashes with Linux or Solaris, it'll log a
"Raw backtrace". It's worse than gdb's backtrace, but better than
+ Added maildir_copy_preserve_filename=yes setting.
+ Added a lazy-expunge plugin to allow users to unexpunge their mails.
+ maildir quota: Added ignore setting to maildir quota, which allows
ignoring quota in Trash mailbox.
+ dict quota: If dictionary doesn't yet contain the quota, calculate
it by going through all the mails in all the mailboxes.
+ login_log_format_elements: Added %a=local port and %b=remote port
+ Added -i and -o options to rawlog to restrict logging only to
input or output.
- Doing a STATUS command for a selected mailbox (not a recommended
IMAP client behavior) caused Dovecot to sync the mailbox silently.
This could have lost eg. EXPUNGE events from clients, causing them
to use wrong sequence numbers.
- deliver was treating boolean settings set to "no" as if they were
"yes" (they were supposed to be commented out for "no")
- Running "dovecot" with -a or -n option while Dovecot was running
deleted all authentication sockets, which caused all the future
logins to fail.
- maildir: RENAME and DELETE didn't touch control directory if it was
different from maildir or index dir.
- We treated internal userdb lookup errors as "user unknown" errors.
In such situations this caused deliver to think the user didn't
exist and the mail get bounced.
- pam: Setting cache_key crashed
- shared maildir: dovecot-keywords file's mode wasn't taken from
- dovecotpw wasn't working with PowerPC